Old December 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Default Best Scent

Marty wrote:
"RichZ" wrote in message

IMHO, scent products are nothing but a crutch. A placebo crutch at that.

Some years ago my catches on spinnerbaits went into extremely sharp decline.
I theorized that there was an odor repelling the bass and I was right. I
tried some Baitmate crawfish and things improved sharply starting on day 1.
I never learned what the odor was and I also learned that scents (positive
or negative) permeate skirt material and stay for an extremely long time.

Otherwise, except to mask negative odors, I don't think that scents do a
whole lot.

Well,, since I have the only rig in the world that takes out all
variables "except" scent,, I can tell you it makes a major difference.

That difference is not whether they would not eat the lure anyway, but
they "prefer" lures with scent, and some scents are much better than others.

I take two identical lures one with scent, one without, or two different
scents, one on each lure, and fish those two lures with "identical
action" in front of the same fish, at the "same time". I even change
which lure is fished atop the other, so that variable is removed. It's
like taking two bowls of dog food in front of the same dog and letting
them choose, the dog chooses what he prefers, not saying he would not
eat the other, if the one he choose was not there.

Since there are so many variables in fishing, even between fishermen
working the same lure, at the same time. My Wiggle rig is the only thing
that can take everything else out of the equation, except scent. it is
the only method that can actually do a real test, all other double rigs
the lures do not have the "very" same action, it is slightly different
on every double lure rig I have tried, maybe someone else has a way to
rig one where they are the same, I have so far, never been able to.

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control