Old January 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Suthern Transplant

Default Old, old, antique fishing reel question?

Hi all,

I am 48 and my Aunt gave me (when I was 9 or 10) a few steel rods equiped
with level wind direct geared reels which my uncle (deceased) had used for
Bass fishing.

I tried my best as a kid to cast with them and could get no further than a
few feet. I would try harder and end up with a huge braided line backlash.
My Aunt was no help when I asked her how in the world my Uncle Hurley would
get these heavy outfits to work...she would tell me my Uncle just knew how
to "thumb" them somehow???

I was a typical kid, and somehow misplaced all the inherited gear...sad I
know but I enjoyed using all the stuff for many years growing up...many
balsa lures and other treasures...sigh.

My question as I go stir crazy sitting inside during winter.)

How in the world did they manage to cast these outfits which did not free
spool??? I asked many older men at the time and they were no help.

(I thought some of you older experts might shed some light on a question I
have pondered for many years.)

Hope all of you stuck indoors are keeping sane...and to those of you in
warmer climates...stick a few for me.

Suthern