Old September 21st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Sarge

Dan Logcher wrote: "Weird. I'm fishing Cape Anne in Massachusetts and have
the opposite results after a storm. Striped bass don't seem to like the
sediment stir-up, and seemed to go out to sea to breathe better.
Before a storm is usually when the fish are feeding more heavily, like they
know its coming so they better get some eats."

That is also true. When the barometric pressure starts dropping lighter
plankton float up in the water column. This increase the amount of plankton
in the water for bait fish to feed on. With the bait fish on a feeding
frenzy, the rest of the fish also go on a frenzy.

My earlier statement is also true. Fish move out to cleaner water when the
storm passes. Some fish do not have the ability to leave any area.
Stripers move out because the upper layers of the water column clear up
while the bottoms may still be stirred. I my area we don't have strippers
but do have specks and redfish. Specks want clean water but still can be
found in stained water. Reds on the other hand will stay put eating
everything. When fishing after a storm one must change their fishing
tactics to meet conditions.

This may mean changing baits or switching to live baits.

Sarge