Old March 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

Default California sturgeon fishing will never be the same.

Calif Bill wrote:

What the hell planet you from. The problems with sturgeon are too much
water diversion, too many mitten crabs, to many poachers that get a slap on
the wrist. The last big poaching bust. 3 years of investigation, Russian
immigrant mom and her son. Caviar selling for $100 / pound and was selling
to Russian stores in the area. They get a $10,000 fine, and probation and
the son got 60 days in jail. They should have lost their house, vehicles,
bank accounts, and if not citizens, deportation! How many 100's of sturgeon
were these people responsible for killing?

Looks like you missed my earlier post in the thread where I wrote:

I agree not nearly enough is done to pursue and convict poachers.
Isn't there a number where you can give tips on the poachers: their
vehicles, boat IDs, etc?

It's disgusting when poachers are given tiny slaps on the wrist on the
rare occasions they're caught. Poachers should have ALL their assets
confiscated: boats, vehicles, houses (won't need a house if they're put

in jail where they belong!), retirement accounts, etc.

My points about dams referred to Sturgeon in a watershed to the north
(the Columbia) that could apply to other systems with dams.