Old March 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Default The Sport of Carp Fishing

"
They actually make good fertiliser and are caught with this purpose in
mind in some places.
Netting is largely out of the question due to greenie policies.
Cheers,

Looking forward to April 1. Net season runs for 2 months here in
Michigan, (lower, upper has a 1 month season starting a month later)

I have a new net on the way, my ropes are ready to go,

I love killing carp in large numbers.

Did you know that netters catch as many fish on the bottom of the net as
the top? (8x8 net lays flat on the bottom)
Next carp you catch, examine the dorsal fin. There is a saw-toothed
spine that catches in the mesh and a 30 pounder can be lifted only by
the spine. You can tell when you've set your net on top of a big one.
The whole assembly starts shaking and bouncing around. Wait a few to
insure the mesh catches the barbs. Funny sight , pulling 3-4 carp up by
a single fin and all hanging below the net.

I'll post some pictures in a few weeks.

Pepperoni

Many useful tactics are banned in many waterways here. Bow/spear fishing
is also totally banned.
E.

No Dynamite, huh?

They let us kill carp and very few rough fish. Suckers are running, though.
In that cold water, they are firm and sweet. They actually seem to trust us
a lot. We often pull game fish and just lower them gently. (maybe take a
quick picture without removing from the net.) Pulled a female bass over 15
pounds once. Guy walking past nearly had a heart attack. Big female with
the V belly full of eggs and tiny looking tail. At least I had a witness,
for about 15 seconds for a look. Another 15 second and I would have been
plotting taxidermy. Close call. State record walleye? We see a couple a
year. They are out there, boys.

Dip netting will teach you how fish move in the river.

Pepperoni