Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Advocate

Default OT Ice fishing questions

"Ignoramus32184" wrote in message

I am in Northern Illinois. We have a small lake nearby.

I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at
least 15 inches thick.

I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty
basic.

1) I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel
prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to
break through that ice.

Sorry for the late response...living in Minnesota and having ice fished all
my life (more or less) using a steel prybar to cut a hole in 15" of ice
would be a lesson in futility. In the first place, fishermen used something
called a "spud" when chipping by hand, it has a sharpened edge to chip away
the ice. I don't use one if the ice is over 4" or so. One doesn't cut
straight down when using a spud, you cut at an angle. So, when you're done,
the hole would be about 3 feet in diameter at the top when you're finished
chipping. I'd suggest buying a hand crank auger for the job, you should be
able to find one for $50 or so.