Old March 13th, 2014, 12:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bertie Doe

Default Newbie : Downwind or Downfly?

Will be starting fishing in 3 days, when the season starts here in the UK.
The 2 local lakes (Bodmin Moor Cornwall) are 200 acres and 900 acres.
Rainbow and brown respectively.

I'm a complete newbie and I've been practicing in the farmer's field
opposite the house. Question is, which bank is likely to produce the most
takes?

50 years ago when course or beach fishing, having a tail wind was a big
plus, obviously. Let's assume a light Westerly wind direction, is it likely
that natural flies landing on the water would be blown towards the Eastern
bank?

I going to fish the larger lake first as there are fewer obstructions behind
the angler. It's mainly grass which has been cropped short by overwintering
geese. With 14 kms / 9 miles of bank, some forward planning will be handy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated TIA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colliford_Lake