Old March 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Bayou Redfish

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:46:14 -0400, jeff miller
wrote:

Wayne Knight wrote:
On Mar 28, 3:14 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading. IMO,
Clousers and decievers are fine for searching casts or casting to
cruising fish. But my limited experience is that crab and shrimp
patterns work better on tailing fish which is the "classic" way of
locating and casting to them.
A quick google turned up this link for what its worth:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-s...er-redfish.htm

For the most part floating lines are just fine but I always carry an
intermediate and fast sink polyleader just in case.

Good luck and have fun. I can send you a couple of crab/shrimp
patterns to play with if you'd like.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Wayne

why polyleaders? i'd never use them fishing for puppy drum. of course,
i prefer a spinning rod and redfish magic lures. the fish are usually
found in relatively shallow water, and spook easily...at least up here.
floating line should work fine. a strong leader is essential...3x at a
minimum. the fish are real hogs...and i think are the best gamefish
caught on light tackle. plus, they make a tasty meal.

from what i've seen of the la stuff, it looks similar to nc. the spoon
fly, copper heads, crease fly, deceivers, gummy minnows, clousers ought
to work. a 9 foot, 6 or 7 weight rod, fast action should be enough
stick, esp. if you're gonna be tossin at a lot of fish. a good reel with
good drag is important. the reds pull harder than any fish their size,
in my experience. i suspect the guide will have everything needed...

even
the spinning tackle. g

And we already went down THAT road, too...heck, I managed to convince
him to leave the tweeds, tam o'shanter, and his dry-fly snobbery back in
the land of Clydesdale urine...

Seriously, though, given his time to fish - a few hours - the 9 is
overkill, but it ought not be too much, and when he fishes with us on a
boat, they'll likely be enough gear to go around. Actually, though, I
just realized the date he scheduled - Ken, bring the 9 setup, just in
case, but hopefully, we'll have seen y'all by the 30th and I'll get you
something a little more appropriate.

TC,

jeff