Old March 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater,uk.rec.fishing.sea,rec.scuba,alt.fishing
ship

Default What was this fish? Gulf of mexico, buttom of an oil rig, veryVERY big.

On Mar 28, 10:28*pm, MoiMoi wrote:
In article , says...

Sounds like Jew fish to me. Grouper dont get that big.

Yep. My bad.
Jewfish definitely most likely.

Really a type of grouper, both a
Class: *Actinopterygii
Order: *Perciformes
Family: * * * * Serranidae
And as previously said, US record 680 lbs, even larger elsewhere in the
world.

Maybe y'all winched a world record that day.
Not very sporting, though :-)

MM

Well... you've got me.
After I pressed send I did wonder if I had exaggerated the weight
It *WAS* about 28 years ago... No one at the time seemed to think it
was a
world record. Hand on heart, I just dont know - maybe it was only 700
or 800 pounds.
It was a name of fish I hand particularly heard of - but very
pedestrian
sounding... yes it could well have been a grouper I suppose.

But let me tell you how big it was VERBALLY. It was rather round and
fat, rather
than long and thin. And hanging on its hook it was way taller than a
man - say
about 1 and a half times the height of a man - call it 9 foot. And
everything else
about it just look liked a normal and fish-like.

Yes you're right. There was nothing *remotely* "sporting" about it.
But did I mention that
it had 3 other hooks in it's mouth !

- Are there any official websites for official world records for fish?

(The Guiness book of records is remarkably useless.)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe