Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

Default Fly Fishing Rods

In article , Charles Turner
writes
Hi Guys,

I go fly fishing here in the UK a few times a year, but I might now go
a bit more frequently, mainly reservoir / river. I'm thinking of
getting some new tackle and am just looking for a bit of advice.

I have a really old glass fibre rod (20 years??). It's a Shakespeare
Sigma Supra 1725 - 285. 9.5 ft AFTMA No. 8-9. I also have a multi turn
fly reel.

The spec for the rod seems to be fine for UK reservoir fishing, but I
would recommend a new rod made of modern materials. Fibre glass is sooo
yesterday :-) A rod with s fast top action is what you need.

Am I right in thinking that virtually no-one uses the drag on a reel to
play the fish? I've certainly never seen anyone doing it, so is there
any point in paying £200+ for a reel?

On still waters or reservoirs, usually the fish are played by hand
lining in the line. I can't say if this is the best way, but it is the
most common way.

So I'm guessing that the real value lies in the rod / line combination.
Now from experience of other sports (tennis / squash etc) that use
carbon fibre equipment I've always found that there is quite a big
difference between the lowest price and around the 60% of top price,
but very little difference in the top 30-40% of the upper price range.
Is this the case for rods? I.e I can imagine a big difference between a
£59 rod and a £250 rod, but what about between the £250 rod and a £500 rod?

You will be able to buy a rod that will cast a good line for less than
£100, especially if you match it up to a WF 8 or 9 line. Floating is my
first suggestion and I prefer Cortland 444 but things surely must have
moved on since I last bought a line.

--
Bill Grey