Old February 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
DerekW

Default Sturdy's Fancy

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
Gents,
Firstly is it still worth using this group anymore?
Maybe Usenet is a thing of the past?
Anyway, maybe Bill or some other fly tiers might be able to give me the
ingredients and instructions for this pattern which came up in
conversation with a Yorkshire friend of mine. Probably no good for us
southerners but my friend tells me he knew the originator and a little
gift of a copy would not go amiss.
Best wishes to all the old crowd and how about a gathering this year. Back
to Brenig?
Cheers,
Alec
--
"The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of mens lives the hours
spent in fishing......"

Strange but not in my bookshelf ( I have no idea what happened to my one
grayling patterns book) . Looking at this image it appears to be a red tag
tied dry with a white hackle unusually using purple silk sunstitute red
silk and a badger hackle and its the fly I used on the upper reaches of the
River Dane for wild browns
http://www.fishingwithstyle.co.uk/sturdy's%20fancy.JPG

I found this suggestion for the pattern

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=277206

Hook: 16 down to 20
Tail: Red Fluorescent Nylon Floss (in the photo mine is too long by about a
third)
Body: A strand of peacock herl
Rib: the tying thread
Hackle: "Mucky White" was the original but pale cream seems to be very good

Derek W
Makes note renew moth deterrent in dressing box!