Old December 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default Best rod/line for ....

rw wrote:

Larry L wrote:

"rw" wrote

Quake Lake during a Callibaetis hatch is a good place to be. The dead
trees are surreal. I've never fished Hebgen. It seems too large and
intimidating.

Quake is, indeed, a nice place to fish although my feeling about it vs
Hegben is reversed from yours. Most of the time I've spent on
Hebgen has been on the Madison arm and it feels relatively small and
easy to access rowing my kickboat. The one ramp on Quake seems a
long pull away from the inlet area that has given me my best action.
All the dead trees certainly is surreal and a bit spooky, especially
if you're slowing kicking backwards and run into one under the water G

The boat ramp on Quake Lake is another spooky thing. It's the old road
before the earthquake buried the rest of it. There are dead people under
there.

Willi and I ran into an interesting and rather strange guy who turned us
on to Quake Lake. He disdained the Madison and instead fished Quake with
mostly orangish streamer-like flies. He said it was the jit. :-)

gotta be the old coot who is the resident manager at one of those
campsites and part-time dishwasher at the breakfast joint. he disdained
all streams in favor of quake lake. he fished late evening and at
night...told remarkable stories of big fish. i liked the look of that
area. need to go back one day. btw...has anyone heard from warren.
i've sent several e-mails with no response.

jeff