Old June 5th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Marty

Default Fishing for Trout in the Summer?

I'm trying to learn how to fish. I want to fish for trout. I'm in
California a little north of San Francisco.

Everything I read talks about fishing when the water's cold (winter,
early spring) or using gear that goes deep from a boat if I want to fish
in the summer. I don't have a boat and I don't want to rent one every
time I take my kid fishing.

I thought I used to go fishing in the summer when I was a kid and I used
to catch trout. I never used anything fancy, just a treble hook with
eggs or cheese, maybe a worm (not usually).

Am I wrong in thinking that I can catch trout from shore with a sliding
sinker/swivel/leader/treble hook/cheese, power bait, eggs or with a
bobber instead of a sliding sinker?

Don't trout need to eat in the summer, too? Or are they only dining at
the finer deep water establishments?

If I insist on fishing lakes from the banks, is it a crack of dawn thing
and a last rays of sunlight thing?

While you're answering this, I'll try to remember how to tie a knot.

Thanks,

Marty