Old June 5th, 2004, 06:52 PM
North Star

Default Fishing for Trout in the Summer?

Hi Marty,

The answer to your question depends on where you want to fish. If you fish
rivers and streams, you should be able to catch trout all summer long. River
and stream based trout have a diet that is mostly insects that fall into the
water. A spinning rod with worms, corn or salmon eggs with or without a
bobber should get you some Trout. If you pursue fishing enough, you can
learn to fly fish too.

If you are fishing in a Lake, I'm afraid you are out of luck in the summer
time. I do not know about what baitfish are available in California waters,
but here in New Hampshire the main food staple for lake dwelling Trout are
Rainbow Smelt. In the spring, these Smelt spawn and are near the surface and
shore. Naturally the Trout follow the food and thus the ease of catching
them without a boat. When summer hits, the lake "turns over" and a
thermocline develops. This is a layer of cooler water under the warmer
surface layer. This can mean that trout will be 30-50 feet down or more.
Both the Trout and Smelt have oxygen requirements that prohibit them from
spending much if any time on the surface. Warmer water does not hold as much
oxygen in it as cold water does. So until fall arives and the lakes cool
off, the fish will stay deep. Fishing off shore will yield nothing in
Summer. You will need a boat equipped with downriggers.

Hope that helped.

Harry
Lisenced New Hampshire Fishing Guide

www.northstarguide.com

"Marty" wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to learn how to fish. I want to fish for trout. I'm in
California a little north of San Francisco.

Everything I read talks about fishing when the water's cold (winter,
early spring) or using gear that goes deep from a boat if I want to fish
in the summer. I don't have a boat and I don't want to rent one every
time I take my kid fishing.

I thought I used to go fishing in the summer when I was a kid and I used
to catch trout. I never used anything fancy, just a treble hook with
eggs or cheese, maybe a worm (not usually).

Am I wrong in thinking that I can catch trout from shore with a sliding
sinker/swivel/leader/treble hook/cheese, power bait, eggs or with a
bobber instead of a sliding sinker?

Don't trout need to eat in the summer, too? Or are they only dining at
the finer deep water establishments?

If I insist on fishing lakes from the banks, is it a crack of dawn thing
and a last rays of sunlight thing?

While you're answering this, I'll try to remember how to tie a knot.

Thanks,

Marty