Old June 6th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Jerry

Default Fishing for Trout in the Summer?

Marty wrote:
I'm trying to learn how to fish. I want to fish for trout. I'm in
California a little north of San Francisco.

Everything I read talks about fishing when the water's cold (winter,
early spring) or using gear that goes deep from a boat if I want to fish
in the summer. I don't have a boat and I don't want to rent one every
time I take my kid fishing.

I thought I used to go fishing in the summer when I was a kid and I used
to catch trout. I never used anything fancy, just a treble hook with
eggs or cheese, maybe a worm (not usually).

Am I wrong in thinking that I can catch trout from shore with a sliding
sinker/swivel/leader/treble hook/cheese, power bait, eggs or with a
bobber instead of a sliding sinker?

Don't trout need to eat in the summer, too? Or are they only dining at
the finer deep water establishments?

If I insist on fishing lakes from the banks, is it a crack of dawn thing
and a last rays of sunlight thing?

While you're answering this, I'll try to remember how to tie a knot.

Thanks,

Marty

Marty for the most part in your area of the country trout will go deeper
in the summer which usually calls for a boat and trolling gear. This is
not to say trout are not available for the shore fisherman. What you
will need to look for is a shore area with a steep slope going onto the
water. Two lakes in your area are Lake Berryessa and Clear lake which
has good trout populations and they are also planted through out the
year. A little more north is Collins lake that has very good fishing
access above the damn for the person on shore as is Lake Amador lake.
The sliding sinker rig is pretty much standard for trout except in the
early to late spring I have had a ball catching trout under a bobber
around the tulle banks of Clear Lake. If you have the time to scout
them out don't forget about the high elevation lakes up in the Tahoe
National Forest area that has good fishing all summer long from the bank
plus some fine camping. If you have the place to keep one a little 12
or 14 foot used aluminum boat with 9-15 hp motor is really all you need
for the smaller lakes mentioned and can really add to your fishing
enjoyment. I no longer live in California, loved the fishing, weather,
and places of interest but hated the prices and politics.

Jerry