Old November 1st, 2003, 05:49 PM
Cornmuse

Default How to conserve bird skins?

Borax will dry out the oils in the skin. I have always been successful
putting pelts in a large plastic bag filled with Boraxo laundry detergent
(acutally not a detergent, but that is where you will find it in almost any
grocery store). I then seal the bag and freeze it for a while. After a
couple weeks of freezing I air the pelt out, place it back in the borax and
store it in a cool, dry place away from my regular tying materials for a
period of a few weeks. You can then wash out the pelt, dry it and use it.

YMMV

Joe C.

"Erik B" wrote in message
news
I wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?