Old November 1st, 2003, 07:14 PM
Scott Seidman

Default How to conserve bird skins?

"Cornmuse" wrote in
:

Borax will dry out the oils in the skin. I have always been
successful putting pelts in a large plastic bag filled with Boraxo
laundry detergent (acutally not a detergent, but that is where you
will find it in almost any grocery store). I then seal the bag and
freeze it for a while. After a couple weeks of freezing I air the
pelt out, place it back in the borax and store it in a cool, dry place
away from my regular tying materials for a period of a few weeks. You
can then wash out the pelt, dry it and use it.

YMMV

Joe C.

"Erik B" wrote in message
news
I wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?

Again, Boraxo is not Borax. Boraxo is half soap. If you use Boraxo, you
will make a royal mess.

Scott