Old December 4th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Doug

Default For the PETA folks

I probably should reiterate:

a.. One study found vegetarians to suffer significantly lower mortality from
heart disease than health conscious non-vegetarians. Mortality from
ischaemic heart disease was 57% lower in vegetarians than the general
population, and 18% lower than in non-vegetarians following a healthy
lifestyle. Deaths due to cerebrovascular disease was 43% lower in the
vegetarians compared with the general population.

Credits to:
Key, T J et al. (1998) Mortality in vegetarians and non-vegetarians: a
collaborative analysis of 8,300 deaths among 76,000 men and women in five
prospective studies. Public Health Nutrition.

This is actually going into more depth than I had planned to go into this,
but the more I read, the more interesting it is becoming. I seriously doubt
I would become veggie, but as another poster suggested, maybe restrict to
only lean meat that I killed myself, with no drugs and steroids and the
such.

I'm getting ready to hit the big "Four O", and these are things I should
probably be more concerned with I suppose.

Pretty interesting stuff none the less though.....

Doug

"rb608" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote in message news
Now this is a fact though, that vegetarians are actually 57% less likely
to die from heart disease, or any other coronary infarction, and are far
healthier then their meat eater counterparts.
I actually know a couple vegetarians, and I will say, they are the
picture of health.

I'd be cautious about attributing the statistical health benefits you cite
as having a direct cause-and-effect relationship with vegetarian diet,
though in the time I was a veggie, my health never suffered. With the
exception of breakfast sausage, I rarely craved meat at all.

Joe F.