Old September 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default TR: 11 Point River

Lookin' forward to reading the unabridged TR. Did you catch any
on dry flies ?

No, not on the 11 point, but didn't have my hex flies with me. Later,
we did fish the falls at Mammouth Springs in Arkansas with the hex
getting knocked down by the falls. Those were nasty looking stockies
that looked like they'd been in some wierd Chemical Ali experiment. I
used a yellow stimulator there.
Watching the water on the 11 point and this squadron of brown bombers
heads upstream at low level. HEX! We had a hatch of hexagenia
atrocaudata and when my brown crawfish pattern hit the water, the fish
were nailing it at the surface. Of course, I only have little
mayflies and nymphs in my vest. I did get some on a hopper pattern.
Don't know if that's properly a dry fly (it was a foam hopper).
By the way, found out that underwater logs in Missouri have a tendency
to role. Damn the bad luck.
This was one of the clearest streams I've ever been on. All limestone
springs feeding it and its running through a limestone canyon with
caves dotting the cliffs. The amazing thing was is that we saw only
one other guy fishing during the whole float.
I was going to write a story about the place for one of the
magazines. The business owners wanted it, but the locals didn't. The
locals want to keep the place secret.
Frank Reid