Old January 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

Default Fly Tying Magnification

On Jan 23, 12:16*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:55*am, Larry L wrote:

Hit some key and got posted before I was done !

FURTHER NOTE:

I have come to believe that in tiny flies the EXACT amount of tiny is
usually the most important trait of successful flies ( at least in
selective periods ) and that including the eye of the hook in your
overall size can pay dividends .... as can using a very small
knot * .... so if you carry a short piece of Metric ruler
( suggested ) *and measure your natural, tie at least some of your
imitations where that measurement is not the shank length but the eye
and shank length, or at least a compromise

As I said, I currently believe that size is usually THE important
trait in tiny imitations and that includes 'fatness' ... sparse is
almost always better and in many cases 'sparse enough' is impossible
since the hook and a wrap of 8/0 is already too fat...

LAST NOTE: *I don't think this is too important in 'searching' tiny
flies, little nymphs ala the San Juan .... I'm thinking of actual
hatch periods, midges and baetis, mainly * .... flash back ... I was
fishing the Big Lost, sight nymphing with a red tailed Copper John ...
I guy came along as I was landing a fish and asked what I was
using ..... I told him and he replied that he was fishing one too,
with a bobber .... next bit is the flash-back ... and "the smaller fly
I use the bigger the fish I seem to catch" ..... IMHO a seine sample
of the BL shows why, even in non-hatch times it can pay to give
something they are used to seeing and eating...doh, of course

So, what's funnier than a bunch of *maturing* fly fishers trying to
find "JUST" the right angling aid? ****ed if I know. Alls I know is
that none of us (well, with one rather obvious exception) has said
"**** it" and packed his dittybag and gone off to some *godforsaken*
island in the Phillipines to live out "his" "our" "my" "your" dream/
nightmare.

The rest is just blather of one sort (or degree) or another.**

g.
**not that there's anything wrong with that.