Old March 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

Default Fly Patterns: East vs. West

"Danl" danlfinn@*remove this*intergate.com wrote in message

For those that may have fished eastern and western streams, do you use
markedly different patterns for PMDs and/or sulphurs depending on region?
What about northeast vs southeast (i.e. Penns vs Smokies)?

Almost all of my experience "out west" was on Colorado and New Mexico
tailwaters and I rarely used anything bigger than an 18 except for the
Mother's day Caddis hatch on the Arkansas. On which I used the same ehc and
pupae patterns I started fishing TVA tailwaters 15 years ago.

Last year I had a meeting in Idaho and stayed over a few days to see Glacier
and I hired a guide in Idaho. My terrestials that I used in Michigan and the
Smokys worked just fine in Montana. But on the guide trip we got into a
hatch of PMD's. We (I) weren't getting any hookups on top with the guide's
PMD imitation. To his chagrin, I clipped off his imitation and tied my own,
which is a farily common Michigan pattern, and proceeded to get 4 or 5
hookups in the next six casts and it worked the rest of the day. Supposedly
he was going to tie some up that night for his clients the next day but I
never found it out. FWIW, his patterns were some foam and rubber things
while mine was made of hair, feathers, and fur the way God intended g.

Except for size and species dispersion (no hexagenia in the Smokys) I use
the same flies in Michigan and Wisconsin as I do in TN, NC, and GA.

My experiences anyway.