Old March 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Default Fly Patterns: East vs. West

"jeff" wrote in message
at penns, you better get the sulphurs' eyelashes and anal orifices tied
exactly right.

hth g

jeff

with all due respect to Jeff and Mike M, I am still not sure about what they
say. My experience is that the attitude of the fly is FAR more important
than color details here in PA. I have used the same sulfur pattern sets for
both Penns and BFC, for instance, for the past decade or so.
In my experience, first and foremost the fly has to come right down the
proper lane on both waters to have a chance. In BFC, flush floaters like
parachutes and soft hackles work best, but not so necessary on Penns. Penns
fish do have a soft spot for CDC and snowshoe emergers on the flatter
stretches, however. Having said this, I have failed enough during sulfur
hatches at both places to remain humble and thus unsure of any
pronouncements. Most especially, I and others fail frequently by overlooking
fallen spinners when duns are hatching. Given that at least 3 and possibly 4
species of flies get lumped into the hatch called "sulfurs", choosing the
proper size,color and stage of the hatch are all contributing factors to
success, but I would place color at the rear of the pecking order.
Tom