Old March 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Danl[_3_]

Default Fly Patterns: East vs. West

So, if Tom says they don't care about the perzact color of your sulphur and
jeffie says "they don't, just so long as its orangish yellow", then one
might conclude to construct one's sulphurs with a bit of orange, remembering
to mind the presentation most of all. I got that right?

Hey Tom, what did happen to your website with examples of your fave flies?

Danl

"jeff" wrote in message
Tom Littleton wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message

at penns, you better get the sulphurs' eyelashes and anal orifices tied
exactly right.

hth g

jeff

with all due respect to Jeff and Mike M, I am still not sure about what
they say. My experience is that the attitude of the fly is FAR more
important than color details here in PA. I have used the same sulfur
pattern sets for both Penns and BFC, for instance, for the past decade or
so.
In my experience, first and foremost the fly has to come right down the
proper lane on both waters to have a chance. In BFC, flush floaters like
parachutes and soft hackles work best, but not so necessary on Penns.
Penns fish do have a soft spot for CDC and snowshoe emergers on the
flatter stretches, however. Having said this, I have failed enough during
sulfur hatches at both places to remain humble and thus unsure of any
pronouncements. Most especially, I and others fail frequently by
overlooking fallen spinners when duns are hatching. Given that at least 3
and possibly 4 species of flies get lumped into the hatch called
"sulfurs", choosing the proper size,color and stage of the hatch are all
contributing factors to success, but I would place color at the rear of
the pecking order.
Tom

the last year i fished penns, the color of the dry fly was the only
differentiating factor i could identify. only the sulphurs with the orange
tint worked. presented identically and in the same size, the yellow color
did not produce. change to the orange, presto, the fish took.

i am saying those are some persnickety fish in penns. they can afford to
be very discriminating about what they will eat. in contrast, the fish in
the smokies want something...anything...that looks buggy and sorta
natural. our fish are starving. they are spooked easily and decide to eat
quickly. we don't have hatches of any real consequence in nc that dictate
feeding patterns.

jeff