Old May 15th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Sierra fisher

Default Question Regarding Leaders

One of the main pur[poses of a leader is to "turn over the fly". That means
that when you cast, the fly and tippet will roll out just as if it were an
extension of the line. If your flies are rolling out, or if you don't care
whether they roll out, (you may loose a few feet of your cast), then you
remove on of the main reasons for a leader. When you are nymphing, there is
much less reason for a leader. they used to sell a lot of 4' long leaders
since little more is needed. Most people I know just used 4 to 5 ' of
tippet when fishing with sink tips. Nylon leaders tend to float. Why put
on a floating leader onto a sink tip?

You will find situations where the fish are leary of your line. I fish one
lake where people beleive that you need 16' long leaders if you are using
opaque lines (don't need much if you have a clear line). It woul be hard to
fish with 16' of tippet, and 16' of tippet definitely wouldn't roll
over.,.probably just pile up. Again, though if you are float tubing, you
can just paddle away from your fly.
Hope this helps

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

wrote in message
Hi, I'm a fly fisher who is relatively new to the sport and I have a
couple of questions regarding leaders. To be as precise as possible:
(1) I've been using flourocarbon tippet to nymph and fish streamers with
no tapered leader. Should I be using a tapered leader in some
instances? For the streamer fishing I use a 4' fast sink tip and about
4' or 5' of tippet. (2) I want to change leaders quickly so my choices
are either loops or leader links. I've been using the loops for
subsurface fishing and the leader links for dries because it is quieter.
Is this the best way to do it? I'm SO confused. :-) TYIA, Tom

---