Old July 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Red Axe

Default What's the deal with carp not cool to fish?

I just stumbled across this page and couldn't resist responding to the
CARP post.

I live in western North Carolina. There are many local carp lakes where
they hold tournaments every week. Around here it's a big deal. There is
a carp tourny somewhere, within driving distance, every day, though they
are now held at night due to the hot weather.

These are "pay to fish" lakes and ponds. People pay to fish and weigh in
the fish they catch. Cash prizes are awarded every hour for the biggest
fish caught.

There are also "JUGs" . If you put your money, 25¢-$1.00, in the jug
for a 20 lb. carp and you are the first one to catch a 20 lb. carp, you
win what ever is in the jug. Same goes for the 25-30-35-40+ jugs. Some
of these jugs normally have several hundred dollars in them.

I prefer to fish for catfish, but have recently caught a carp that
weighed 38 lb. 14 oz, and another that weighed 37 lb. 12 oz. They
"stretched my string" and I thoroughly enjoyed the fight. I released
them, so I could catch'em again someday.

As long as you enjoy fishing, it doesn't matter what fish you catch.

Nick