Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Default Mepps Spinner Blade Colors Question

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:40:16 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Not a Bass "scholar," but was wondering about this:

I fish a lot in a small Pond outside of Boston.
The usual; smallmouth and largemouth, with lots of yellow perch.

I can always get a load of them using a size 0 or 1 Mepps Spinner
(treble hook).

Has to be Undressed; the ones with a skirt just don't seem to attract them.

The ones that work always seem to be the ones with a Silver Blade.

The Gold, or the Black bladed ones (Fury, I think) with the spots don't
work either.
Just the Silver ones.

Mepps, I'm sure, sells millions of the Gold and Black speckled Blade ones,

So,

For you experts:

Under what conditions do, or would, the Gold and Black speckled blades
be expected to work "better" than the Silver bladed ones ? Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Smallies, Brown Trout and other Trout...I have always used a black
body gold blade Panther Martin. Usually with a 1/2" piece of red yarn
on the hooks. This was in WI. Chartreuse works good too. Like the
Panther Martin over the Mepps most of the time. Down or upsize to
match what they are eating. Use a small ball bearing swivel with just
rings, not clasps.

Dan