Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default RFD: rec.outdoors.bassfishing.tournaments

On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:22:18 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote in
220520062222189935%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca:

You want to create a new group. You need to demonstrate to the people
that hold the keys to group creation (I'm not one of them) to release a
control message to create that group.

The people who hold the keys are Russ Allbery and Todd McComb.

The Big-8 Management Board may or may not receive their
endorsement. We're still on probation.

What I'm saying is that if you can show by show of voices, informal
poll, or some other mechanism, that there would be a reasonable traffic
of discussion on the new group then you will have a much better chance
of getting "them that hold the keys" to create the group for you.

Agreed.

I think it is good for proponents to line up as many supporters as
they can who are willing to say "I will use the new group."

I believe THIS IS GOOD FOR THE GROUP. The more folks you
have who know that a Usenet group is under consideration and
who express a desire to use it, the better the chances that the
group may thrive after it is created.

... I do think
you have a good proposal.

I think the second proposal is better than the first.

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments seems to me like a good
location in the hierarchy. I read through all of the rec groups
last night and found lots of professional sports, commercial
enterprises, fan stuff, and the like. I don't buy the idea that
"outdoor" necessarily means "amateur" or "non-competitive."

Since 99.999% of fishing takes place outdoors, it may
perhaps have been unnecessary to put it in the "outdoor"
category. How much indoor fishing is there?

But since that's where the fishing groups landed, I think
it makes sense to have another fishing-related group
be found near them, rather than starting a rec.fishing
or rec.sport.fishing branch.

If "sport" is essential to highlight the competitive element,
one might think of rec.outdoor.fishing.sport.tournaments.
I don't like that myself. I think "tournament" includes the
notion that the activity has a sports-like nature.

Marty