Old June 9th, 2010, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

Default What's happening here? (Sandsfoot Castle area)

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:

Had no luck from the beach in the harbour but found that the South Pier

I had one evening trip to the N shore while you were there - we should have
arranged some sort of contact system. Saw several bass at long range but
only landed small pollack. Also one trip to the Osmington shore for some
more pollack - all on 'flies' about 2" long and skinny, silver mylar bodies,
grey wing and a bit of red at the throat.

Tried a Kimmeridge trip but got up a bit late - got to the beach about
3.30 but the larks were already singing and it didn't leave long enough to
get to the better spots by fishing-light :-( We have to be up -early- at
this time of year.

at Weymouth was interesting. Used a lot by the local lads but the
mackerel were few and far between.
Nice Ballan(?) Wrasse though, and one of the guys must have had a good 2
pounder on Rag.

We mostly get the bigger ones on plugs.

I think might have sussed out how to fish the harbour now, as on the
last day ,I float fished, (good old pike bung:-), rag at about 2 ft. One
bass, but too small to put in the pot :-(

Once the water really warms and the prawns appear in the weed on the piles
try the same depth (with an avon) in the edges of the streetlight shadows
after dark.

A great time however and hope to get back down that way ASAP!
Interested in the Ringstead/Osmingtom area and will visit next time we
get down that way, (which would be soon, AND PERMANENT, if SWMBO can be
convinced :-)

Ah, the hard part...

We've also seen a lot of mullet inshore all along the coast as far as
Kimmeridge but they're only feeding in short bursts atm, their guts are
probably too cold to digest regular meals as yet. They'll be hungry real
soon now.

This year has gone back to the old timings, we're no longer used to it -
last year I took my first bass in mid April - this year it looks like it'll
wind up about the second springs in June - but that won't stop me trying
next weekend; just in case.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/