Old December 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default Clavemeister's fishing spot going away?

http://www.ethicurean.com/2009/03/23/menhaden/
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/bill...ort-once-again

On 11/30/2011 8:19 PM, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 11/30/2011 8:33 AM, jeff wrote:
economic realities and effective resource management realities often
conflict...and politicians are the worst managers of each. i personally
think the pendulum has swung wildly to policies of personal greed and
consumption in most of the southern coastal states. the outer banks and
barrier islands of virginia and the carolinas are unique and precious
resources that need protection from human over-development and
over-consumption. in north carolina, we have limited and managed vehicle
use on our beaches. i'm all for the appropriate management and
limitation of vehicular traffic on beaches. unmanaged, the fools ruin
the beaches for everyone, including those who responsibly travel on the
sand, and for the wildlife. they four-wheel over dunes and sea oats.
they drive over nesting sites. they disrupt and irreparably damage an
already fragile eco-system. that said...weather and sea always have the
final say. i am a proponent of no vehicles on fragile beaches and
barrier islands. hell, i'm a proponent of no vehicles on any beach. that
said...there are some areas and beaches that seem to tolerate the use.
most of nc's core banks...a national seashore including cape
lookout...has a long history of managed beach vehicle use.

...and tom...how about getting the virginia fat cats focused on the
destructive commercial menhaden fishing up there! g

see prior reply to Dave on the details of how the entire coast on the
Eastern Shore is managed. I think it's a workable compromise, having one
island with some access.
As for the bunker fishing, I didn't realize the little devils were all
that threatened. Hell, around 2 million of them turn up in harbors from
Quimby down to Cape Charles every year due to oxygen turnover alone. You
could walk across Quimby harbor on a bad day on a layer of dead
bunker(ahem, mehaden). Fill me in, counselor.......
Tom