Old March 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Default What to do with my retrieve?

On 03/27/2010 07:55 AM, riverman wrote:

I hate to admit it, but for all my care and obsession with careful
casting, mending, etc etc etc....I catch about 80% of the fish I do
catch on the retrieve. And not just while I'm retrieving, its while
I'm mindlessly reeling fast in to change flies or cast elsewhere.

So I suggest doing what I do....empty your mind, think about the
weather or something, and just reel in fast to get to the fly. See
what happens.

--riverman

Great advise. I have had the same experience. I have
caught more than a few trout on bad casts that I was
just trying to retrieve as fast as I could so I could
do a proper cast (and not embarrass myself further).

The trout I lost about three foot away from me on Thursday
made me think that I should think some more about what
I am doing. I certainly thing a lot about my drifts.
What you suggest is probably the right ticket. Just
crank it in and *not* think about it.

Huge human brain vs trout pea brain. It is annoying trout
win so much of the time.

-T