Old March 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Default What to do with my retrieve?

On 2010-03-27 16:13:29 -0400, Todd said:

On 03/27/2010 05:53 AM, David LaCourse wrote:

HUH? Fish the drift? "Clumsy?" I've been tying flies a helluva long
time, but I am gonna hafta learn how to tie "clumsy" into my nymphs.
I'll tie a clumsy nymph and call it the Full Reid.

Hi Dave,

Here is a tip.

Here is a tip: You are on a flyfishing group with people who have been
*successfully* fishing nymphs/dries/wets/streamers for many, many years.
Stoneflies live as nymphs for up to three years
before metamorphosis (the hatch). When the nymph gets "clumsy" and
gets caught in the drift (trout food), he floats up-side-down
with his legs outstretched.

Yeah, sort of like me when I get "clumsy".

Next stonefly you tie, tie it
up-side-down. You can called it your "Clumsy Stone". (If you
catch a lot of fish on it, might I suggest "T's Clumsy Stone"?)

But surely stones aren't the only iddybiddies that get "clumsy".
Should I tie ALL my nymphs up-side-down? When you tie up-side-down,
how do you prevent the blood from rushing to your head and blurring
your sight?

The "drift" is a whole different way of thinking than
the hatch.

I can only imagine.

Turn over a submerged rock: what you find crawling
about is what you imitate.

How deep is this submerged rock? I've fallen over many a submerged
rock and would love to go back and smash the sobs, never mind turning
them over.

What can you possibly mean by fishing the "drift". There is no drift.
I do believe that you are either pulling our collective leg or know
absolutely nothing about fly fishing. I have been turning over
submerged rocks for 50 years. I know what is under them. And, I am a
very successful nymph (those iddybiddy things under the rock) fisherman
for too many years to count. I am NOT a drift fisherman. (???)

Fishing the hatch is fun too. So whatever works for you.

Yeah, the hatch is a lot of fun, as long as you don't sit in the grass
Pennsylvania-style waiting for it. Man, that can be a bummer,
especially when some smart assed Yankee comes up to the pool and starts
catching fish on iddybiddies.

But there is also the wet fly and streamer, and we mustn't forget the
all important terrstrial, grasshoppers, flying ants, etc. Now I am
confused as to which ones I should tie up-side-down (or should I fish
them up-side-down?).

Dave, in wonderment in wonderland