Old March 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Bayou Redfish

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:22:50 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Knight wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading.

I already tried that, Wayne, but hey, when you're getting advice from a
guide who knows where redfish are in S. Louisiana, advice from folks who
live or have lived there with lots of fishing experience just sorta come
in a distant second...

Yeah yeah, I heard ya the first time and I do respect your first
hand experience but a 9wt is all I have in 4 piece and I'm not
gonna buy a new rod just for a few hours fishing in the bayou.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Oh, man, this has become its own, er, funkin' industry, both legit and
otherwise. An official poster, unsigned, isn't cheap, and a signed one
is REALLY ridiculous (IIRC, they were fetching over $800.00 last year,
unframed). Then there's all the quasi-official ones. I'd suggest
determining _exactly_ what you want and letting Ken and Kristine have a
website/.jpg/something to see so they know exactly what you want. And
as an aside, depending on which ones you have (such as a signed
Rodrigue, etc.), you might wish to check into values and determine if
you need insurance (seriously).

No ****, over $4,000 for a 1989 JazzFest *poster* ?!!?!? Good grief.
I've got a 1990 (the last time we were there) I wonder why it's only
worth $350 ? I mean, granted I only paid $30 for it at the time but
I can be as greedy as the next guy. ;-)

Depends on the artist of the poster and the featured artist (if living),
as well as the plain ol' market demand. For example, the aforementioned
Rodrique featured Satchmo (obviously, he didn't sign it...), so the
poster artist accounts for the value, whereas if the artist of the
poster and the "featured" artist (or no artist) is less well-known, the
value can be much less. Plus, if yours isn't signed, the value is
likely less. My advice is if you want art and investment, buy one with
as much "signing" as possible, but if you just want a poster, buy one
with no sigs. If you are thinking about an artist-signed one this year
(Irma Thomas), let me know before you buy one "off-the-rack."

TC,