Old April 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Rich

Default Making Your Own RIgs

"Paul" wrote in message
I thought I might give up using Breakaway bait shields and use bent
paper clips in thin tube. That'd save on costs and theres no plastic
left in the sea. I have seen people using drilled stones as weights in
malta but that seems a bit time consuming and the stones have to come
from somewhere anyway.

Sea Angling going green and eco friendly might be something the tackle
manufacturers need to introduce and then it will filter down to
us..................

Talking of the Med. I was in Gibraltar once and the loacl tackle shop
recommended using shellfish (which were a bit like big cockles) as a
combined weight and bait. You just tie a hook on the end of your line,
prise open the shellfish and hook it in the fleshy part. That's it - the
shell is the weight and the innards are the bait. Worked really well for
small Breamy things.

At risk of sounding like the 10,000 things to do with cotton buds section of
Sea Angler magazine...

Another recycling method when rig making is to make your own coil crimps. If
you can get some old multicore telephone cable, strip out the inner wires
from the outer sheath so your left with several lengths of solid cored
plastic coated wire. Take a length of plastic coated wire and wrap it round
a small diameter former such as the end of a jewellers screwdriver - you
want something about 2mm diameter to wrap the wire around. When you've
finished wrapping the wire into a 'spring' cut to about 10mm in length and
you're done.

To use them just thread onto your trace as you would with a normal crimp,
and secure in place by twisting the coil crimp tightly onto the trace.

They're not a secure as metal crimps, but they do hold surprisingly well and
can be easily moved bu untwisting a bit and re-twisting where you want them.

Hmmm, just remembered 10,000 things to do with an ice cream tub.

--

Rich

http://www.badangling.com
....talking pollocks since 1996