Old July 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Les Stewart

Default Absolute beginner

A local fishing pier would be a good place to start. You will see lots of
different people, different gear and different techinques. Most people there
will LOVE to talk about fishing.

I would suggest starting with a $20 to $50 rod and spincast reel (harder to
get tangled) combo

http://www.zebco.com/catalog/spincast.html

with 15 or20lb line and live or dead bait. Use what others on the pier are
using.

And remember "A bad day fishing is better than a good day working."

Good luck!
--
Les Stewart
Beaumont, TX

"Y. Name" wrote in message
. ..
All,

I live in Tampa, FL and have decided to finally try my hand at fishing. I
do not have a boat, and don't really want one, but I live within easy
driving distance to fishing piers, beaches, and some fresh-water ponds.

I'm less than an absolute beginner. No equipment at all, just a desire to
learn and have fun.

I'm looking for guidance as to where to start. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy