Old August 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Craig M

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won't admit to

Gonna put my 2 cents worth in he
Baitcasters have one advantage, size, its a smaller reel, fits better in the
hand, you can feel the strike better when your hand is wrapped arround the
reel and rod seat, then you ever can with a spinning reel, I do have and use
both types, I use spinning when fishing tiny lures, and when beach fishing
once in a while, I have a 9 foot surf rod and a big spinning reel, also have
a 6` harbormaster with a Penn 209, and have brought in some mighty big
redfish with it, oh yes, I cast it pretty good too.
"ANTIQUE AUDIO" wrote in message
heads up people- baitcaster reels are older than the Ford Model T, and
just as antiquated

basically the only reason people used them, was back in 1900, there
was nothing else- only baitcasters and fly reels- spinning and
spincasting reels were not invented yet

anyone that says they can "cast further with a baitcaster" is FOS-
think about it, use common sense

on a spinning reel, the only thing that has to leave the reel, is the
line itself

on a baitcaster, the spool has to turn

there is more friction turning the spool, than the line just leaving
the spinning reel

so there you have it

why do people use them ? for the same reason they like 1970
Chevelles, tube stereos, and battleships- they are a cool relic of the
past

truth be told, there's not a freshwater fish alive, you can't land
with a spinning or spincasting reel

the only "practical" sane use for a baitcaster, is deep see fishing or
trolling, for very, very big fish- like swordfish- and trolling- where
you toss your bait over the side, let line out, and troll the lure

sure, there are people that can cast 100-150 ft. with a baitcaster

but even a novice can cast 250 feet with a spinning reel-

there's simply no comparison- but for some reason, these "bass pros"
won't admit to that-

reason- they are getting cash endorsements from reel companies- and
the reel companies make a ton of money from baitcasting reels people
use a few times, have problems with, then sit and collect dust

just look at how many old baitcasting reels there are on Ebay. Just
try casting with one. The old baitcasters had no clutch, drag, or
casting resistance settings- all they had was a clicker button-

the clicker served as a half-assed "drag" to wear down a fish, and an
"alarm" to tell the fisherman, when a fish has hit his lure while
trolling

NOT for casting, or for clutching

the recent additions of the clutch, drag, release button, etc.
settings, was merely an attempt at making a reel designed for cranking
a big fish in, to also cast

having said this, I have spent last 2 days practicing casting an old
1960's vintage baitcaster reel, the reel handle actually spins when
casted, there is no release button on it- maximum casting range so far
is 60 feet- that's about it