Old February 5th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Techie Guy

Default How can I remove tarnish from old bulk spool of tinsel ??

Hi all

I bought a bulk spool of silver tinsel a number of years ago and it
was meant to last forever. However after 3 or 4 years the tinsel
started showing signs of tarnishing. In my wisdom I cut a piece and
dipped it in the wifes silver cleaning dip and it came up sparkling
bright. So a few days later I decided to dip the whole spool (when the
wife was out of course) anyway the spool was sparkling bright and I
was very pleased with it.

Then a week later I went to tie a fly and the tinsel had seriously
tarnished to a very dull grey. I think there must have been a reaction
with the air afterwards and I appear to have lost a huge spool of oval
silver tinsel. :-(

I did thoroughly wash the spool after dipping but I'm afraid it did'nt
stop the reaction.

Does anyone know of a safer dip that would remove the tarnish again
and not have a reaction so soon afterwards. (1 week)

Thanks in advance for any offers of advice.