Old February 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Mike Connor

Default How can I remove tarnish from old bulk spool of tinsel ??

"Techie Guy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:25:51 +0100, "Mike Connor"
wrote:

snip
I guess the cloth is my best option unless someone knows a secret

formula for a dip that doesn't make the tinsel re-tarnish too quickly.
My worry is that if I clean the tinsel and then tie up some Salmon
flies with it. The tinsel will re-tarnish and detract for the look of
the finished fly within a week or so.

I appreciate that tinsel will tarnish on flies anyway but this is
usually quite a long term process of years rather than days or weeks.

Thanks
Techie Guy(aquatyer)
--
http://www.flytier.co.uk

Yes, I reckon the silver cleaning cloth is your best option, although the
stuff that the guy described in the other post sounds good as well.

The "standard" dip for cleaning silver was washing soda ( washing soda NOT
bicarbonate), with a few pieces of aluminium foil in it. This removes the
tarnish immediately, and a quick polish afterwards restores the lustre.
Donīt know how long it lasts though. I have only ever used it on silver
spoons, and not very often either. They all turn black eventually though.

Really, there is no good reason to use genuine silver tinsel anymore.
Plastic is much better.

TL
MC