Old December 26th, 2005, 02:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Winston top bamboo rod makers pushed out for being liberals?

"RkyMtnHootOwl" wrote in message
. ..

I recently picked up a used split bamboo rod with the name "Montague".
It has two tips, with a reversible handle. Can be used as a 9ft
flyrod, or 6 ft casting rod. I would like to get a handle on when the
rod was made, and whether it is safe to use one of these older rods?
Do they get brittle with age?

montague was a production rod maker in the early to mid 90's. The rods show
up frequently in peoples attics. Generally speaking they have little value
to collectors and some say fishing a 9' cane rod is no fun. If the rod is in
fishable shape, then by all means fish with it you would like. Most of the
Montagues I have seen have been in poor shape and needed work.

What is the advantage of the cane over
newer carbon fibre rods?

There are those who will tell you that nothing made of cane is as good as a
graphite rod so you will have to form your own opinion. I believe that cane
rods are more forgiving of casting mistakes and are a better fish fighting
tool because the fibers will flex all the way to the butt section, making it
more protective of the tippets. The average caster can generally cast
farther with a faster action graphite rod than a cane rod, and again a 9'
cane rod will wear some people out after a full day of casting. And most
folks don;t use cane in salt water or heavy freshwater applications.

You mention that there are other groups where
these are discussed, could you point me in their direction?

http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum
http://vfish.net/
www.flyfisherman.net
www.rodbuildingforum.com