Old May 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Tim J.

Default Fly line recommendation

"riverman" wrote...
OK, as if this hasn't been all hashed out here before..but I think its time
to modify my fly line on my smaller rod, and I'd like a recommendation of
some lines to look at. I'm just getting to where I believe that different
lines might actually make a noticable difference. Call me a reformed cynic.

The rod is Hardy Gem Smuggler 5 piece-4 weight, is 8'5, quite soft, and I
use it in diverse conditions (open casting, and also with covering brush). I
don't like to cast it tremendously far out, as I can't seem to get a good
delivery, so I'd want something that loaded up pretty quick for intermediate
(30-40 foot) casts.

I'll defer to the old timers (anyone who has fly fished longer than me), but on
my softer rod, I prefer a DT over the WF. I found it really difficult to roll
cast with a soft rod and a WF.

I store my line on a small arbor reel, and all my
scientific angler Air Cel lines have developed memories that I cannot seem
to stretch out, so I want a line with a good reputation for no memory.

At the end of each season, I take my line off of the reel, dress it (if
necessary), and wrap it in larger coils. I've found storing it on a small arbor
reel will make the line act like a watch spring. My second season, I had to
replace two lines because of this.

I usually fish dries, so a high-floating line is preferred. I only fish it in
freshwater, usually for trout or greyling.

People have suggested that I try to find something in a WF with a short tip
and short front taper, a short fat belly, and a long rear taper (sounds like
a personals ad...) Can anyone recommend a good product, or is this such a
trivial question that its worthless? So far, I've thought about a SA
Headstart, but that seems like its a bit of a beginner's line (whatever that
means). Another option is a SA Ultra4, but again, I've had bad luck with SA
and memory, so I think I want to change brands. Any suggestions?

So far, my favorite has been the Cortland 444 LaserLine. I've got one that's on
its third season and still going strong.
--
TL,
Tim