Old October 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Ian Hooksem[_2_]

Default Death rigs

Death rigs - usually associated with carp fishing, when the aim is to
catch and release,and not cause harm to fish.
The opposite to death rig, is known as a 'safe rig', which most
fisheries demand.
Essentially - if your mainline snaps it is probably ok for a fish to
escape with the hook and a lenght of line attached to it; it is believed
the fish will come to no harm until it eventually ejects the hook, or it
rusts. But if a weight is attached to that same hooklength, it will drag
and get tangled around obstacles - thus tethering the fish and causing
its death.
There are loads of 'safe rigs' in use

Do some detective work on google for safe rigs. You will see a number of
companies charge oodles of money for their particular accessory's, but
these are not necessary unless you want the convenience. Wade throught
he ads to find some really good sites on rig making. Here is one for
example -

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Me...?TopicID=73294

Re loop rigs - again search for SAFE loop rig
Ian

Gandalf wrote:
A silly question I think but what the hell are death rigs. I know some
people seem to think it is dangerous to the fish but where has this come
from and who as it makes no sense to me.

I was looking for more details on my loop rig that I know was so popular
just as I stopped fishing back in the late 70's.

More importantly am I likely to find my local waters have some sort of ban
on such rigs, I would have thought not but better check with the people who
will know.