Old November 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM
joe

Default Redfish spawn

In article ,
(Basspro*) wrote:

Joe that makes sense about the ball bearing swivel. I'll give that a
shot. Also, how fast do you retrieve a spoon? I have noticed the
slower the retrieve the less the line twist, but if I retrieve to
slowly it sinks too fast. Also, do you ever use a trailer on the spoon
for redfish? Perhaps a grub tail or something similar? Would that help
reduce the twist also?

The retrieve speed can make a difference but I notice very little line
twist with the swivel. I do typically use a braided line on my spinning
reels (PowerPro or TuffLine) and they are not really as susceptible to
line twist. I do have a couple of outfits with a hybrid mono that I may
tie a spoon on but again twist is minimal.

The retrieve speed varies. It depends on the fish and maybe the water
temps. If I am not getting hits when it is known that fish are present
or hits and no hook ups (nice thing about a spoon with a weed guard is
that you are pretty certain you had a hit if the guard is bent) I may
change the speed. I know that reds are supposed to have poor sight but I
have seen then in the shallows yak fishing run 20 feet to blast my spoon
on a fast retrieve.

The thing my buddy/mentor keeps reminding me is to let the spoon drop to
near the bottom before beginning your retrieve. I have to say though
that reds will surprise you and I have seen every kind of take on the
flats. Including undoing a slight bird's nest and having a fish that
apparently picked up the spoon off the bottom. Usually the aim is to
keep it near the bottom or at grass top.

In the winter, cooler water you may want to work the spoon slower. A
trailer works well for that. I have used a grub or the purpose maid
trailers. There is also a 'new' product originating in Florida called
'Fish Bites' that I have used. They have a 'crab scent' that is good for
reds. It will come off at some point unlike a plastic though. I have
used them on several occasions and they seem to make a difference but I
have no conclusive evidence. The trailer may help reduce twist as it
typically changes action a little. It will also allow a slower retrieve
which may be just the ticket for sluggish cool water fish.

Lastly, try the silver spoon. I know everyone says gold but I can show
you evidence otherwise; in the Tampa Bay area anyway.

good fishing,

joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb