Old July 9th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Sarge

Default back after 30 years (maybe more) need small advice...

Mike,

I believe the setup you have will work although I prefer a medium heavy
action 7 foot rod. If you want to spool the reel with a heavier test look
at putting braid line on the reel. You can buy a heavier test line and get
one that is the same diameter as a 6 LB mono. I prefer Power Pro line. You
will have to learn a few things when using it. First it has to be put on
the reel with mono backing about 20 yards of mono or after the line is tied
on to the reel you must use electrical tape around the reel then spool the
line on top. Braid lines do not stretch and or very slippery. When you tie
the lure on the best knot is the palmar knot. Other knots seemed to slip
causing you to lose fish. When getting strikes you can not set the hook
like on mono, all it takes is raising the rod tip slightly because the line
does not stretch.

If you do decide to go with your setup, catching big fish is possible with
your setup you just have to fight the fish longer to prevent line breakage.
You won't be able to man handle the fish to you.

Sarge