Old July 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Rich Pierro

Default back after 30 years (maybe more) need small advice...

Mike,
The setup you have is fine. I really doubt that it would be a problem
to put the 8lb test on there. Most of us seem to prefer a heavier setup for
bass but if you set the drag a little looser, and play the fish a little
more, you should be alright. As far as braided lines go, here's my 2.
At first I used light tackle and 6 to 10 pound mono. I thought I was
doing OK until a friend suggested Power Pro. When I tried it on a quality
rod (Loomis GL2) I found that between the rod and no-stretch line I could
feel every rock, every weed, and in turn every strike. It was like going to
fishing school and learning to understand the feedback from the combo. It
made me a better fisherman. Eventually I felt confident in my technique and
went back to mono. I fish a lot of clear to stained water and the
visibility of Power Pro I think was costing me bites.
My advice to you, spool up with the Power Pro and learn to tie on a
fluorocarbon leader. This way you get the rigidity of the super line and
the stealth of a clear line full time. Once you feel like your in the
groove and catching fish, then you go to whatever works best for you. And
if your going bass fishing, I don't care where, learn about the Senko.
Learn about the latest Texas rigging, wacky and drop shot rigs, and you will
put bass in the boat anywhere, especially in clearer water. That has been
my experience anyway. Good Luck and do some reading. Maybe find a local
guide who can give you some one on one instruction with these techniques,
can't hurt. I'm in NJ.

Rich P

tbi.com wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

This group seems to get the better posters, so thought I'd ask here.
Been away from fishing (except rarely in sal****er, but not my own
gear) for some 30 years, and want to get back. Call it a mid-aged
crisis! I am sure fish are laughing everywhere... none are old enough
to remember when I was the terror of fish everywhere ;-)

I am hoping for brook trout and bass fishing, wanted to have something
I could use for both a bit. I was planning to use lures and artificial
baits. Advise away please...

I played with a bunch of stuff, then left with what I thought was a
pretty decent combination.. a Berkley rod (lightning rod 6'6', says
Medium Light 4-10) and a Mitchell spinning reel. When I was a kid
Mitchell spinners were the best, so that's what I got - though not the
expensive one, just a 308x. It felt well matched to the pole. The
setup sank me 78.00 total. Anyway when I snapped them togehter in the
store they seemed to have a good feel. Is this just junk? Should I
spend my 78.00 elsewhere, and do a bit better, especially for somebody
who hasn't fished for many years? The kid in me was saying a trout
would fear this setup in the hands of a pro. The rod seemed to be
pretty strong, with a supple top on it. Finding a salesman at Sport's
Authority was impossible, so your advise is a appreciated.

One of the things most suprising to me was the fishing line. The stuff
is tiny now. Anyhow, I was a bit surprised when I got home, with 8 lb
and 6 lb "stren" to read that the reel will only do 6 lb. I think
(especially having not fished for years) that I would do better with
the 8 lb line for starters, I would rather take the chance of not
hooking the fish, than hooking it and breaking the line through my
inexperience. Advice?

Looking on line there is another Mitchell reel, the 300x, which will
take the 8 lb test, but it looks heavier too. Am I making a mountain
out of a molehill?

Thanks for any help, and I would appreciate any advice on a better and
more knowledgeable way to do this. I have to admit, a lot of the
purchase was the kid in me going "Wow, nice rig dad!"

Mike C.