Old April 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default I have a stupid question.

"SimRacer" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
om...

"SimRacer" wrote in message
om...

"Diamond Dave" wrote in message
Why is it that most/all pro and semi-pro bass fishermen use bait

casting
reels
when in tournaments, or filming their TV shows. Is there some

advantage
the way a bait casting reel casts or retrieves.
tnx.

I think it's all in what you're most comfortable with Dave. I tend to

use
baitcaster for everything I can that is heavy enough for me to

accurately
cast it with, and will turn to a spinning rig when it is something I

need
cast some distance and is too light to worry with using a baitcaster

with,
say like a wacky rigged worm, or ultra light finesse-type rig, like a

drop
shot (we have so much pressure here, we have to down-size almost to pan

fish
sized lures sometimes to get bit).

I will also use a spinning rig with lures/rigs that are longer or

bulkier
than normal, if that sounds right. I am referring to a Carolina-rig
specifically. With a smallish weight, and then 18"-24" of leader,

followed
by a nearly weightless soft plastic, they can be a chore to work

accurately
with a baitcaster for me. So I use them on spinning reels, pretty much
exclusively. They're just easier to cast with spinning gear to me.

Around here we call those light weight c-rigs "splitshot rigs" and most
of
the guys I know use spinning tackle for them.

Exactly my point. A lot of personal preference, based on the lure and
presentation, drives what type of gear various people use. I just use
baitcasting gear for everything I can effectively use it with. If I can't
make it work on a baitcaster - for whatever reason: size, weight, etc - I
have spinning gear available to put it on. I am just more comfortable and
more accurate with a baitcaster. I even prefer them when I fish inshore
and
offshore species down at the coast where I cast for fish - redfish,
speckled
trout, striped bass, etc. They're a little heavier, and salt-water
specific
models, but they're just bigger brothers to the ones I use back home here
for the freshwater fins I chase.

--
Bob La Londe - Webmaster
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tornament Director
www.YumaProAm.com

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Lightweight presentation, spinner, all others casting reels. I use spinners
90% of the time for dropshot. Unless in deeper water with weeds then a
heavier weight and caster. I also ocean fish and with small pin-head
anchovies I fish with a large spinning reel, as can flip the bait out
furthur from the boat.