Old April 7th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Willi

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Doug Kanter wrote:

Boy scouts? ROFL! Church committees disguised as men? We tried 3 troops. I
could tell you such stories about those pussy brigades. Remember the Borg,
from Star Trek? One mind, lots of wires connected to the central brain. What
a hideous example for a kid to follow. My son was beyond that when he was
three years old. Pass the barf bag, please.

Maybe things have changed or maybe it just depends on who the leader is.

But I was a member of Scout Troup "Traveling" 80 and I have many good
memories.........

Our scoutmaster took us on numerous camping trips including a week long
trip to the "wilds" of Michigan (which was VERY wild to a kid from the
Chicago suburbs) and to a Camporee in Arizona where we met up with
hundreds of other scouts. He had an old woody station wagon that was so
beat up and rusted out that when we piled in the back we could watch the
road roll by through the holes in the floor boards. I learned to canoe
on a polluted local river where we would shoot through standing banks of
soap foam at the bottom of each rapid, one time jumping in the water to
"save" another scout whose canoe turned over. Got my first kiss from a
girl scout whose troup was camping over the ridge. Went on a 25 mile
hike walking through woods, farmers' fields and on the shoulders of the
back country roads in central Illinois, following a historic Indian
trail and finding an old stone sharpening stone on the way. Getting out
of a tent in the middle of the night to take a **** and being so
overwhelmed and scared by the first true darkness I had ever seen with
its incredible display of stars.

Willi