Old August 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default And speaking of the, um, "arts"...

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:38:52 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

once again, a trivial aside.....man, Rick, you're slipping
(I can just hear Wolfgang's response to that!)......

Frankly, I suspect Joe and wife haven't got the 10 bucks to go to the
movies, since the economy, which has been purely driven by short-term stock
returns since about, say, the election of Ronald Reagan, closed the plant a
few years ago. Since the Bush Jr tax cuts, governments have been forced to
raise pretty much every fee and levy, so those beers may be pinching the
budget a bit, too, so probably, they'll listen to whatever is on the
jukebox, not having the money to drop a buck or two into it. Finally, upon
hearing the two stories, I can guarantee, based upon the local Central PA
newspaper letter feedback, one will really **** them off. And, trust me, my
friend, it ain't the one about SUVs. Get out there amongst the folks, Rick.

You ever been to George County, MS? It's pretty hard to get more
amongst the folks than there - you got Lucedale in the east and Benndale
in the west, and the entire middle is, well, George County, MS...of
course, so is the east and the west...

Have Settlesworth drive you up to the Upper Midwest, or here, to Central PA
or up in coal country. People are hurting, and they're ****ed. Now, I'm not
saying that people will flock to Obama over that fact(Hillary proved that,
adequately), but I will tell you that, in general, the GOP brand is about as
well-regarded in some of these places as two day old dog ****. People may
take a while to figure it out, but lots now see that they've been had by
Republican fat cats fleecing them. The big get-even is starting. It may not
even peak this year, but it's coming.
And, no matter what end of the economic spectrum one occupies, we had all
better hope that the trend of a polarized ''haves vs have-nots" nation,
growing ever farther apart, ends soon, or the whole freaking lot of us are
doomed. But, then again you've heard this whole rap before from me, right?
Tom

p.s. the above does not discuss, but certainly doesn't dismiss the fact that
lots of folks on both sides of the aisle have contributed to this sorry-ass
situation. It is just that the charge was led by Reagan, and cheerled by
largely
Republicans ever since.......

I disagree with a lot of the above insofar as it'll all get laid
(solely) on the GOP. I think most people don't really _know_ who
"fleeced them" (and really, most such folks were not actually fleeced in
the least, or if they were, they willingly and greedily participated in
causing their own problems - for example, folks who went out and bought
property they should have never bought, much less been allowed to
finance), but they blame it on politicians in general. Look to
Congress' approval rating versus Bush's - Bush ain't winning any
popularity contests, but compared to Congress, he's doing pretty well.

IAC, what I think you're seeing is more of a "who's the least bad"
rather than "who's the better choice." And frankly, I don't see either
Obama or McCain as the clear choice for "Joe Sixpack," which ever way
they feel.

TC,