Old August 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

Default fighting over docks?

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
Has anyone here ever had a verbal fight with a land owner over fishing
around their dock? The last two times out my partner and I have got into
verbals with landowners, yesterday I thought I was going to have to
fight my way off the lake. What are the laws about fishing distance from
a dock? should I report them to the DNR or Police. I'm in MIchigan

Yes, I've gotten into many "discussions" over the years while fishing docks.
Some of these have gotten quite heated and I thought a couple were going to
get physical.

The problem is, there are no laws regarding fishing distance from a dock.
That means you, as a legal and licensed angler are entitled to fish right up
to and under the dock. The water (and the fish in it) belongs to the state,
not to any individual and the dock owner cannot prevent you from fishing in,
under and around his dock.

I learned that it doesn't pay to fish any dock with someone on it. Not that
you won't catch fish, because you can, but because you cannot be sure how
they'll react. But, if they appear friendly, I'll ask them for permission,
even though I don't need it. If they're total jerks, I'll bypass the dock.

But, if one comes out and stands on the dock with a shotgun and threatens me
(this happened once), I'll do again what I did then. Call 911 and report
being threatened with a firearm.

If you REALLY want to fish that dock, report them. If I remember correctly,
it is against the law to harass hunters and anglers in Michigan and they are
the one in violation of the law, not you.
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief