Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default feathers and tying flys with them

"edventures" wrote in message
oups.com...

newbe question number one , I have a snow goose just shoot this
spring and would like to ty some flys with it the feathers i am green
as can be can any one help- point me in a direction I not sure which
feathers to keep or what kind of flys are possible to ty with them

Eric Leiser's 1973 book Fly Tying Materials has generall
advice about handling and storage of feathers. Goose is
seldom used and white is of all colours the least used.
You can dye goose quill material various colours to use
where traditional formulae called for swan or condor.
No special use has yet been suggested for goose
down and the like (but no one had heard of cul de canard
20 years ago.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs