Old April 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default feathers and tying flys with them

"rw" wrote in message
k.net...
riverman wrote:
"Richard Herr Harder" wrote in message

WTF are you thinking? What are the top 10 flies for trout? I bet the
prince nymph is one. Its main components are brown goose biots and
white goose biots.

Hmm....top ten trout flies. Hard to enumerate, since there are several
versions of upwing drys that might qualify separately. Nontheless, my
thoughts, close to being in order, for the top 10 fish-catchers worldwide

Wolly bugger
GRHE
EHC
PT
Wolly worm
Adams
Parachute
Muddler minnow
Copper John
Some type of ant

Prince nymph is down around #15 or 20, in my book.

The Copper John uses goose biots as well. I believe that it is now, or
recently was, Umpqua's #1 selling fly.

Most I've seen look more like this:
http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/jwoola...opper_john.htm

but I don't doubt that the original had biots.

--riverman