Old May 20th, 2004, 05:13 AM
tmon

Default The Wrist In The Cast

From: (daytripper)

Don't feel bad, some of us took a lot longer than 2 years to figure out
the wrist could actually bend while casting a fly line.

I would think that the reason some instructors tell you initially to
keep your wrist straight is to prevent the rod from going back to 2 or 3
o'clock. If you can snap your wrist and than stop at 12 or 1 o'clock it
is much easier to cast and requires less arm motion and energy. At
least in my case.

I was introduced to the "Microsecond Wrist" by Doug Swisher hisownself
- who demonstrated it out in a parking lot with my 7 foot 2 weight.
First cast, Ziiiiing! He laid out a good fifty feet of line and leader
with half the arm movement of my own humble casting stroke. He did a
slow-motion walk-through showing his wrist actually breaking (gasp!) and
the rest is history.

Have you ever watched Joan Wulff's "The Dynamics Of Fly Casting"? She
repeats the mantra over and over, loading move, power snap of the wrist,
drift on the backcast. Then the same. Loading move, power snap of the
wrist, drift on the forward cast.

That was in 1990, iirc. I'd been flyfishing for 26 years, using the
classic "hammer stroke", which requires one hell of a lot more energy to
do and asks precious little of the rod...

I use the "hammer stroke" the 3 or 4 times a year I golf. That's why
I'm lucky to break 90. :-)

/daytripper (you pay for the rod, so make *it* do the work! ;-)

I only learned that lesson tonight. It was a revelation.